The Cosplay Runway completion will be held Friday, August 23th. In this competition, contestants walk down the runway and show their cosplay to the judges and audience. During their 30 second walk contestants must be in character, strike a pose, make a turn, and walk off.
You can sign up for the competition by filling in the sign-up template, which you will find below the rules.
General Competition Rules
- You have to be in possession of a valid Abunai! 2019 ticket to sign up for this competition.
- Any act theme is accepted, with the exception of original characters
- You may enter the competition by yourself, or in a group consisting of of three people, max.
- A runway walk may last a maximum of 30 seconds.
- There have to be at least ten sign-ups for the contest for the competition to take place, or it will be cancelled.
- Costumes with inappropriate items and/or nudity will be rejected outright.
- The following items are required to compete.
- A reference sheet with pictures of the character and your costume in 360° view, your name or your cosplay,, character name, and series.
- A music piece of 30 seconds.
- A background picture for your runway walk.
- The costume must be handmade by the wearer. Accessories like shoes, wigs, simple jewelry and belts may be machine-made. Props must be handmade. Our staff will inform you if your accessories meet the completion requirements.
- If you have any medical condition which prevents you from making certain criteria please let us know with official medical proof, and we’ll see what we can do to accommodate that limitation.
- You have to ask our permission beforehand if you wish for someone to take your pictures during the show.
At the Convention: Rehearsal Rules and Information
- Please be aware that if during the Abunai! weekend you find yourself unable compete, the ONLY way to notify us is by visiting the information desk. If you know you’re unable to compete before the convention weekend, please let us know by e-mail before Tuesday August 21st!
- If you have a legitimate reason for missing rehearsal or for being late, you must let us know no later than a week after you receive the rehearsal schedule. If you fail to inform of this on time you will be put on the blacklist, which will prevent you from entering the competition the next year.
- The rehearsal is not for you to practice your act, but for the technical crew to make sure the sounds and lights are working correctly and to practice technical queues.
- We do not accept new audio-visual material or other such requests during the rehearsal.
- Please bring your most recent files to the rehearsal.
At the Convention: Competition Rules and Information
- By participating in this competition you give us the right to record your performance, which we will publish online. This material is used for promotional purposes, with all rights reserved to us.
- There will be a short break between the rehearsal and the actual competition.
- If you want your act to be filmed by anyone else besides our camera crew, you can request permission through email up to a week before the convention.
- All group members must be present backstage 30 minutes before the show is scheduled to start. You are not allowed to leave before the show starts. If there are delays, you are still required to be present.
- The order in which the acts will perform is decided by the staff and is not open to discussion.
- Judging results are final and are not open to discussion.
Dates & Deadlines
- You need to fill in the sign-up template before the 27th of July. By this date we will need your sign-up template, reference sheet, and audio-visual materials.
- You will receive a definite go/no go to enter the competition the 31th of July.
- We will inform you of the time of the rehearsal by the 15th of August.
- If you cancel your act after the 15th of August without a legitimate reason, your submission to the Cosplay Runway competition for the next year will be put on the waiting list.
- You need to fill in both your real name and your character’s name in the “Character(s) (required)” field in the template below.
- There are a limited amount of spots available. Therefore we advise you to send us your full information as soon as possible. This allows us to more quickly examine your runway and determine which runway will make it through the selection round. We will also be quicker in informing you if you need to fix something in your sign-up template.
- After you sign up we will send you the reference template. You must completely fill in the template to compete. Templates that do not follow these rules will be rejected.
- Reference pictures must be official art. Using fan-art made by popular artists as reference pictures is not allowed.
- You can send the reference template back along with your supporting materials as a .zip or .rar file. You can also upload your files by using www.wetransfer.com or other archive websites, like Google Drive. You can then send us the download link.
- Your files should be named in this order: Name – Cosplay name – Performance name- character.
- We will notify you if your sign-up template has been received.
- Only visitors with a valid Abunai! ticket may enter this competition.
Audio-visual Material Rules
- The following combinations of audio-visual material are possible:
- Audio only.
- A still (non-moving) image.
- Read the rules below to prevent non- working audio-visual material.
Audio File Rules
- Audio is mandatory.
- For audio you can use one of the following file formats:
- MP3, AAC
- Audio files should be of very good quality. The speakers will make it sound grainy otherwise.
- Compressed bitrate for MP3 should be at least 128 kb/s, fixed, or 192 kb/s VBR. Compressed bitrate for AAC should be at least 96 kb/s.
- Don’t use recordings of TV audio, unless you’re an expert who knows how to cancel out noise.
- If you want to have audio start at X seconds you have to edit the file yourself. We start audio from the start, so make sure the file is silent until the moment you wish to use the audio in your act.
- You have until two weeks before the convention to notify us of issues. Notifying us of updates and fixes counts for this as well.
Image File Rules
- You can choose any image as long as they fit with your performance.
- You can only use one image.
- The following file formats are accepted:
- JPG, JPEG, PNG
- We don’t accept any other type of image.
- The resolution of the image must be at least 640×480. Obviously enlarged, blurry images will not be accepted.
(These rules are subject to change)