These are the rules for the 2018 edition of the Abunai! Anime Music Video Competition. If you have any questions or remarks, please contact us. Please also check out the FAQ where oft-expressed concerns are addressed. The AMV competition will be held on Sunday.
- You have to be in possession of a valid Abunai! 2018 ticket to sign up for this competition. You have to be a visitor (this includes guests, dealers and volunteers) for at least one day of the convention to participate in the competition.
- Sign-up deadline is Friday, the 20th of July 2018 at 23:59:59.
- You do not have to be present at the competition, though it’s highly preferable that you are.
- You can enter this competition with one AMV, meaning you may not have worked on multiple videos. As such, this rule extends to group projects.
- Your AMV has to be created for this competition specifically. It is not allowed to enter an AMV that has been publicly shown. This includes but is not limited to: competitions,usage in a workshop, publication on YouTube or similar video services. We do allow your AMV if it was shown at small private screenings to your closest friends or family for feedback purposes.
- On the sign-up form, do not forget to tick the box on the final page concerning agreeing with the terms and conditions. Your application will not be submitted otherwise.
- Video footage you may use can originate from: Anime, Manga stills, (fan)art, game footage or anything else Japan related. There is no limit to the number of sources you are allowed to use. Usage of non-Japanese sources is l allowed in moderation, and may be of influence during the judging process.
- Minimum resolution is [4:3] 800×600, or [Widescreen] 896×504
- Maximum length is 3:00 minutes (excluding intro/outro)
- Minimum length is 1:30 minutes (excluding intro/outro)
- Intro or outro length may not exceed 10 seconds each, or 15 seconds if you include both an intro and outro.
- Accepted file types are: AVI, MKV, MP4 and MPG. Other file types may be rejected.
- The maximum file size is 1 GB (1024 MB)
- Excessive gore, violence, nudity or other content not suitable for minors is not allowed.
- Using footage containing commercial or fan texts is not allowed and can get your AMV disqualified. This covers inclusion of logos, subtitles and watermarks that are not or insufficiently blurred. Adding subtitles or text of your own because you think it contributes to your AMV is allowed.
- Credits and special thanks are allowed, but cannot include source material. Source material will be listed separately by us.
- Audio can be of any source and in any language
- Minimum audio quality is 192 kb/s MP3
- Vulgar language or language otherwise not suitable for minors is not allowed.
Submitting your AMV
You can find the sign-up form here: Sign up form AMV Competition.
After signing up, send an email to email@example.com. The body (message) of the email must contain the following:
- Subject: [AMV] (nick)name – title, for example: [AMV] kitsune – my first amv
- Your name
- Your Email
- Your visitor number (or payment code if no visitor number has been received yet)
- Download link to the files containing the Sign-up template and the AMV. The AMV’s filename should look like: (nick)name_-_title_of_the_video.extension, for example: kitsune_-_My_First_Amv.mp4
- For uploading your AMV we recommend the following:
- WeTransfer (our first choice)
- Google Drive
If any of the information required is missing, your sign-up will be rejected. We will notify you if your sign-up form has been received.