General Rules (2017 Edition)
These are the rules for the 2017 edition of the Abunai! AMV Competition, which will be held Sunday August 27th. If you have any questions or remarks, please contact us. Please also check out the FAQ where oft-expressed concerns are addressed. We also have a Tips & Tricks to help contestants out.
- You have to be a visitor for at least one of the days of the convention to be eligible to participate in the competition.
- You do not necessarily have to be present during the competition, though it is recommended.
- You can sign up with only one AMV. This rule includes group projects.
- Sign-up deadline is Monday
- The AMV cannot have had any prior showing. This includes but is not limited to: competitions, public showings, usage in a workshop, online streaming like YouTube or similar video services, or anything beyond small scale private screenings to your closest friends or family for feedback purposes.
- On the sign-up form, do not forget to tick the box on the final page concerning agreeing with the terms and conditions. Your application will not be submitted otherwise.
- Video sources can be: Anime, Manga stills, (fan)art, game footage or anything else Japan related. There is no limit to the number of sources you are allowed to use. Usage of non-Japanese sources is allowed, but only in moderation, and can be of influence during the judging process.
- Minimum resolution is [4:3] 800×600, or [Widescreen] 896×504
- Maximum length is 3:00 minutes (excluding intro/outro)
- Minimum length is 1:30 minutes (excluding intro/outro)
- Intro or Outro length may not exceed 10s each. Should you choose to have an intro and an outro, they cannot be more than 15s combined
- Accepted filetypes are: AVI, MKV, MP4 and MPG. Other filetypes may be rejected.
- The maximum file size is 1 GB (1024 MB)
- Excessive gore, violence, nudity and other content not suitable for minors is not allowed.
- Material with commercial or fan texts are not allowed to be used and are a reason for disqualification. This includes logos, subs and watermarks that are not or insufficiently blurred. Adding subs or texts of your own because you think it contributes to your AMV is allowed.
- Credits and special thanks are allowed, but cannot include source material. This will be listed separately from our side.
- Audio can be of any source and in any language
- Minimum audio quality is 192 kb/ps MP3
- Vulgar language or language otherwise not suitable for minors is not allowed.
Submitting your AMV
After signing up, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The body (message) of the email will have to contain:
- Subject: [AMV] (nick)name – title, for example: [AMV] kitsune – my first amv
- Your name
- Your Email
- Your visitor number (or payment code if no visitor number has been received yet)
- Download Link to the files containing the Sign-up template and the AMV. The AMV’s filename should look like: (nick)name_-_title_of_the_video.extention, for example: kitsune_-_My_First_Amv.mp4
- For uploading your AMV we recommend the following:
- WeTransfer (our first choice)
- Google Drive
If any of the information required is missing, the sign-up will be rejected. We will notify you if your sign-up has been received.