A brand new competition will have preliminaries at Abunai! 2017: The International Cosplay League – Duo’s. The winners of this walk-on, walk-off competition will go on to participate in the finals at Japan Madrid Weekend, which will be held in September.
Here you find the rules for the Duo acts for the International Cosplay League preliminaries. You will be judged on costume (40%) and act (60%).
This preliminary round will be on Saturday August 26th. (may be subject to changes)
- Only visitors with a valid Abunai! Saturday or Weekend ticket may participate.
- All the contestants must be at least 18 years old by September 15th 2017 and a registered citizen or permanent resident for at least 3 years of the country the Partner Event takes place in.
- You must be eligible to travel to Spain.
- The registration will only take place online, that is, there won’t be an opportunity to register at the event.
- Each team must be consist of two Cosplayers wearing costumes from the same source. It is a pair competition.
- All the contestants will have to be ready for the costumes’ pre-judging a couple of hours before the contest. The participants will have to respect the line and will not be evaluated before the turn or after. Cosplayers will be judged following the order of registration. If not present on time for the pre-judging, they will be disqualified without any exceptions.
- Cosplays have to proceed from an official commercial source (Comics, Manga, Books, Cartoons, Anime, Movies, TV-movies, Musicals, Videogames), meaning that the design cannot be based on a fan art. Flesh and bone characters will be allowed if they are from works of fiction. The only non-official designs allowed are the Sakizo illustrations.
- Cosplays that have previously won international qualifying rounds or international competitions. Costumes which have received any type of award at any other event cannot participate.
- Costumes have to be handmade in 80% by the members of the team, and the other 20% can be prefabricated, but modified. The props, in case there are any, have to be made by the contestants in 70%. If any help with any part of the costume has been provided, it has to be announced for it to be ranked.
- Effects of fire, sparks and smoke are forbidden, as well as crackers with gunpowder and laser lights. Objects cannot be thrown on the stage, it is forbidden to dirty, mark or damage the stage.
- Regarding weapons: it is absolutely prohibited to use real weapons. Props should follow the Dutch weapons law, meaning imitations of firearms must contain the special “red cap”, props made out of wood need to be checked on safety and metal props are not allowed.
- Abunai! and Japan Weekend will be allowed to make free use of the photographs taken during the contest without any economical compensation for the participants or photographers.
- During the catwalk it is forbidden to jump off the stage closer to the public and/or the jury.
- It is forbidden to bring animals on stage.
- Catwalk takes place on stage: if the costume is not suitable size and/or is unable to go on stage, you can’t do the catwalk and take part in the competition.
- The following combinations of audio-visual material are possible:
- Video with embedded audio
- Audio only
- A still image
- A self-made video with changing images, with or without embedded audio
- No material at all
- Read video, audio and image rules to prevent non- working audio-visual material.
Dates & Deadlines:
- You can sign up for the International Cosplay League (Duo) by filling in the sign up template below the rules. You can do this until June 30th 2017. By this date we will need your sign up template, script and audio-visual materials.
- The results of the selection round will be given around July 10th
- Before the selection round is over, we do not accept changes to the script. After the selection round, the selected groups may send in an updated script until July 25th 2017. (These can only be minor updates, not a completely different script.)
- Providing us with as much material as possible will give us a better idea of your act and will help us out a lot during the approval process.
- You will receive the times for the rehearsal around August 17th.
- If you cancel your act after August 7th 2017 without a legitimate reason, your submission to the Cosplay Act Competition for the next year will be put on the waiting list.
Act Submission Rules
- We need to know your real name and character’s names in the “Character(s) (required)” field in the template below.
- Acts must last a minimum of 1 minute and a maximum of 3,5 minutes (210 seconds).
- No microphone will be provided; the performance has to be prepared beforehand.
- When it comes to Cosplays of idols or of similar thematic (Love Live, Vocaloid, AKB0048…), the performance has to contain something apart from dancing choreography or singing. If it occurs, dancing or lip-syncing cannot last for more than 30 seconds. Playbacks of general songs are allowed. (Example: a group of Love Live cannot dance and lip-sync during all the performance, but a Cosplayer of Ursula from Little Mermaid can perform her song while she is acting).
- Erotic or pornographic scenes are forbidden, as well as any immoral acts unnatural for the character which could disrupt the order of the contest or disturb the audience.
- No stage ninja’s are allowed.
- After your sign-up we will send you the script template. You can send the script template back by bundles as either a.zip or .rar, or as a download link for us by using wetransfer.com or other archive websites, like Dropbox or Google Drive. This also counts for when you have to update a script or wish to adjust your audio for after the selection round!
- Your files should be named according to this order: Name – Cosplay name – script 1. Script 1 can be adjusted to Script 2 and will make it clear to us when it is updated.
- We will notify you if your sign-up has been received.
You can find the sign-up form here: International Cosplay League 2017 (Duo) sign-up form
Audio-visual material submission rules
- Audio is not mandatory
- If you do a‘live’ performance, let us know before the deadline of the submission. We are unsure of how many microphones we will have available so keep this in mind. We recommend pre-recording your act to avoid mistakes on stage during the show. If you want to make sure we know that you have a ‘live’ performance add it to your file name ( Name – Cosplay name – script 1- Live act)
- For audio you can use one of the following formats:
- MP3, AAC
- Audio files should be of very good quality. The speakers will make it sound grainy otherwise.
- Compressed bit rate for MP3 should be at least 128 kbit/s, fixed, or 192 kbit/s VBR. Compressed bit rate for AAC should be at least 96 kbit/s.
- Don’t use recordings of TV audio, unless you’re an expert who knows how to cancel out all the noise.
- If you want to have audio start at X seconds / minute(s)you have to mix that in yourself. We start audio from the start, so if you want this, make sure it’s silent until that moment you want to use it in the file.
- Notify issues in time, deadline of sending in updates and fixes counts for this as well. Two weeks before the conventions is far too late.
- Video is not mandatory
- The following files are accepted:
- AVI, MKV, MP4, MPG
- We don’t accept any other files than the ones listed above.
- You can use one of the following codexes:
- DivX, Xvid, H.264, MPEG2
- It always has to be MOD16. A minimum of [4:3] 640×480 resolution is required. Anything larger/in HD in also fine.
- For video we use at least a bit rate of 1000 kbit/s
- All video needs 5 seconds of black screen at the end.
- Use a good quality video if you download from the internet. Crunchyroll or Youtube might provide a very poor quality. Preferably use DVD or Blu-ray material.
- Images are not mandatory, but you can choose to show one image throughout your act.
- You can choose any images as long as they apply to your act.
- If you want to use multiple images, make a collage or a slideshow video. (Check the video rules.)
- The following files are accepted:
- JPG, JPEG, PNG
- We don’t accept any other type of image.
- The resolution of the image must be at least 640×480. Obviously enlarged images that become blurred will not be accepted.
- For the collage or slideshow we accept the following formats:
- PPT, PPT, ODP
- Slideshows should have a minimum resolution of 1024×786
At the Convention
- Please be aware that if you find out that you can’t compete in the competition during the Abunai! weekend, the ONLY way to notify us of that is by visiting the information desk. If you know it in advance, please let us know by e-mail before Tuesday August 24th!
- If you have a legitimate reason for missing or being late to the rehearsal, you must let us know no later than a week after you have received the rehearsal schedule.
- If you fail to inform us on time you will be put on the blacklist, which will prevent you from joining the next year.
- The rehearsal is not for you to practice your act, but for the technical crew to make sure the sounds and lights are working correctly and to practice technical queues.
- We do not accept new audio-visual material or requests during the rehearsal. However, it is always appreciated to bring along your newest files, just in case something goes wrong.
- By participating in this competition you give us the right to record your act, which will be put online. This material is used for promotional purposes, all right reserved to us.
- If you want your act to be filmed by anyone else besides our camera crew, you can request this through e-mail up to a week before the convention.
- There will be a short break between the rehearsal and the actual competition.
- All group members must be present (backstage) 30 minutes before the show is scheduled to start and you are not allowed to leave before the show starts. If there are delays, you have to be present anyway!
- The order in which the acts are set will be decided by the staff and is not open for discussion.
- Judging results are final and are not open for discussion.
(These rules are subject to change)
For questions and help, please head to our forum