General Rules (2017 Edition)
These are the rules for the 2017 edition of the Abunai! AMV Competition. Check the FAQ for more in-depth details about these rules. Compared to 2016, our FAQ has been pruned and the minimum resolution has been increased. Otherwise, there have been no significant changes to the rules this year, but you might want to read them all as a refresher nonetheless. If you have any questions or remarks, please contact us.
- All points covered in the FAQ and Tips & Tricks section are part of the rules.This general rules section is simply a shortlist, with an as clear as possible wording. The FAQ gives some extra details about some of the rules, as well as answering frequently asked questions. Be sure to read to the end!
- To sign up, use the webform on our website (coming soon) and use one of the methods recommended in the FAQ to send your AMV to email@example.com.
- You have to be a visitor (this includes guests, dealers and gophers/stewards) for at least one of the days of the convention to be eligible to participate in the competition.
- You do not necessarily have to be present during the competition, though it’s highly preferable that you are.
- You can sign up with only one AMV. This rule includes group projects.
- Signup deadline is Monday the
- The AMV may not have had any prior showing. This includes but is not limited to: competitions, public showings, usage in a workshop, online streaming like YouTube or similar video services, or anything beyond small scale private screenings to your closest friends or family for feedback purposes.
- On the sign-up form, do not forget to tick the box on the final page concerning agreeing with the terms and conditions. Your application will not be submitted otherwise.
- For further details on how to sign up; check the FAQ.
- Video sources have to be Japanese: Anime, Manga stills, (fan)art, game footage or anything else Japan related. Usage of non-Japanese sources is allowed, but only in moderation, and can be of influence during the judging process.
- Minimum resolution is [4:3] 800×600, or [Widescreen] 896×504
- Maximum length is 3:00 minutes (excluding intro/outro)
- Minimum length is 1:30 minutes (excluding intro/outro)
- Intro/Outro length may not exceed 10s each, and 15s combined
- Accepted filetypes are: AVI, MKV, MP4 and MPG. Other filetypes may be rejected.
- The maximum filesize is 1 GB (1024 MB)
- Excessive gore, violence, nudity or other content not suitable for minors is not allowed.
- Material with commercial or fan texts are not allowed to be used and are a reason for disqualification. This includes logos, subs and watermarks that are not or insufficiently blurred. Adding subs or texts of your own because you think it contributes to your AMV is allowed.
- Credits and special thanks are allowed, but cannot include source material. This will be listed separately from our side.
- Be sure to check the FAQ and Tips & Tricks section for additional and more detailed rules and guidelines.
- Audio can be of any source, Japanese or not
- Minimum audio quality is MP3 of 192kbps
- Excessive language or other content not suitable for minors is not allowed.
- Again, be sure to check the FAQ and Tips & Tricks section for more detailed rules and guidelines.
Sign up Form AMV Competition