Please note that we are longer accepting gophers for Abunai! 2017. Thank you all for signing up!
Each year we need volunteers to help us out. Without volunteers, there would be no Abunai! at all. As a volunteer you get some great perks, and you also get to work with a fun group of people who share the same interest.
What do you have to do?
Our volunteers are also known as ‘Gophers’. You have to help us out for a minimum of six hours per day. We work with three-hour shifts. There are different shifts to choose from, so that you can find something suitable for you.
The shifts are as follows:
- Cloak room shift: You will help out in the cloak room by hanging up and returning coats and bags from the visitors.
- Event shift: You will help set up events, shifting tables and chairs around or assisting the one in charge during the event or lecture. A separate events manual containing detail on each event and what is expected of you will be provided.
- Register shift: During the register shift you will help check in all the visitors that arrive at Abunai! It’s mandatory for every visitor and crew member to check in. For this shift it’s important that you are stress resistant, customer friendly and representative. Before you begin this shift you will get a briefing before you get to handle the register system.
- Info desk shift: The info desk is where visitors can get general information such as opening hours, bus information and event locations. As gopher stationed behind the desk, it’ll be your task to help visitors in need. The info desk also functions as the ‘lost and found’.
- Video room shift: In this shift you will help in the video room. You will mainly keep the videos running and watch the video room.
- General: The general shifts cover all sorts of tasks. This could be anything the Abunai! staff, or maybe even location (NH Koningshof) staff needs help with.
- Stand-by shift: During this shift you will stay on-call in the gopher lounge. The gopher manager will alert you if a staff member is in need of a gopher. You also may get asked to help set up shifts and to keep the gopher lounge clean. It is mandatory to stay in the gopher lounge during this shift.
The security gophers, also known as ‘stewards’ by most, are managed by a separate manager and get extra steward meetings. Check the Abunai! Service Team page for more information.
What do you get in return?
Apart from meeting and working in a team of lovely volunteers, you also get some other great perks if you help us out! For example, if you did your job you will get your ticket refunded. You will also receive an unique Abunai! t-shirt! There’s a lounge for all volunteers and staff where you can hang out, relax, or get something to eat and drink. We also try to arrange seats for gophers who can’t wait in line for popular events if they have a shift right before the event starts. But that’s not all! We also have a little get-together some time after the convention, to show our appreciation for all you lovely volunteers!
How do you sign up?
Please note that we are no longer accepting applications for Abunai! 2017. We will leave the below information on this page for Abunai! 2018.
When you register online for the convention, you can check the option “Help us as Gophers”. Sometime after registration, you will receive a form to fill in called the “gopher formulier”.
If you already registered but forgot to check the box or didn’t decide to gopher until later, you can edit your registration. The checkbox that says you want to gopher is at the bottom of the page that also lists your registered tickets, hotelroom, dinner and other goodies.
Maybe you can find the answer in the Gopher FAQ or the FAQ on the forums. If not please send your question to using our contact form, or ask around in the appropriate forum. You will get an answer as soon as possible!