We need your help!
So you are someone who enjoys watching anime, you have decided that you are going to visit the next Abunai!, and you want to help us out. That’s great! Each year we have need of volunteers to help us out at the Abunai! convention. Without volunteers, there would not even be a convention at all! As a volunteer you get some great perks, and you are able to interact with a fun group of people who share the same interest.
What do you have to do?
As a volunteer, also known as a ‘Gopher’, you will have to be able to help us out a minimal of 6 hours a day. We work with 3 hour shifts which means that you are probably required to work 2 shifts a day. There are different shifts you can choose from, so that you can do something suitable for you.
The shifts, which can consist of:
- Cloakroom shift: You will have to hang up coats/bags from the visitors, and are required to return them when the visitors come back for it. You won’t be having this shift alone, so you can always talk to somebody.
- Event shift: .Your main task will be lending a hand with setting up, shifting tables and chairs around or assisting the one in charge during the event or lecture itself. If you encounter any problems while helping out during the event don’t hesitate to contact any of the Event Super gophers or Event staff. Besides that there will be a separate events manual available for everyone in which every detail about each event and what is expected from you will be described. Therefor we advice you to read through it.
- Register shift: During the register shift you are required to help out with checking in all the visitors that arrive at Abunai! Its mandatory for every visitor, gopher, steward, staff & gopher to check in. Therefore it is important that you are capable of being stress resistant, customer friendly and representative. Besides that it is essential for you to arrive at your shift ahead of time so you are present for the explanation and information meeting that will be provided to you before handling the register system.
- Infodesk shift: If you’ve been to the convention before, you might have noticed the desk with helpful gophers answering your questions, usually in a central location. Opening hours, bus information, event locations, we will try to have the answer to every question ready here. And as a gopher stationed behind the desk, it’ll be your task to give this info to the visitors who need it. Usually also functions as the ‘lost and found’ stash.
- Video room shift: This is where you help out the Video room with technical difficulties. Mainly you will have to keep the videos running and watch/guard the video room. The Technical Staff will handle the rest themselves.
- General: There will probably be smaller tasks, one or two shifts over the entire weekend. This could be anything the Abunai! staff, or maybe even location (NH Koningshof) staff needs help with. Don’t worry: especially if this requires heavy lifting or standing still for a long time, we will find a person suited for this job.
- Stand-by shift: During this shift we expect you to be present in the gopher lounge so that the gopher manager is able to ask you for your aid when one of the staff member is in need of a gopher. Besides that you might be asked to help out during any of the setting up shifts and to keep the gopher lounge clean. It is mandatory to stay in the gopher lounge during the shift.
- Dealer Room Bring&buy :Gophers on this shift are there to assist Miatzy staff. There tasks are as following: 1. Accepting goods of visitors meant for sale. 2. Displaying the accepted goods accordingly. 3. Assisting during the selling of the goods. 4. Returning goods that haven’t been sold to the right full owner 5. Paying the customers of which goods have been sold (in consultation with Miatzy) 6. Informing security when theft or any other undesirable event occurs For this shift you should be capable of getting involved and tackling the work head on. Don’t be afraid to ask questions to the Miatzy staff.
The security gophers, also known as ‘stewards’ by most, will be managed by a separate manager and get extra steward meetings. Check the Abunai! Service Team page for more information.
What do you get in return?
Apart from the socialising you get when working in a team of volunteers, you also get some other great perks when helping us out! For example, if you did your job you will get your ticket cost refunded! Also, you will receive a unique Abunai! T-shirt! There’s a room for all of the crew (including the staff) where they can hang out, rest up, or get something to eat/drink. We will also try to arrange free seats for gophers who can’t wait in line for popular events (Cosplay Compo and AMV Compo, most notoriously) because they have a shift right before the event starts. But that’s still not all! We also have a little get-together some time after the convention, to show our appreciation for the volunteers!
How do you sign up?
Actually, signing up is easy! When you register online for the convention, you can also check the part “Help us as Gophers” (for those who want to be a steward, there’s also an option for that). Sometime after the registration, you will get to fill in an extra form with questions about you gophering called the “gopher formulier”.
If you already registered, but forgot to check the box (or didn’t decide to gopher until later), you should be able to simply go back and edit your registration. The checkbox that says you want to gopher should be at the bottom of the page that also lists your registered tickets, hotelroom, dinner and other goodies. After that, it’s simply a matter of patience! If you find yourself unable to register, we might have closed the gopher registration. More info on this, when it happens, should be available on the forum (read below).
Maybe you can find the answer in the Gopher FAQ or the FAQ on the forums. If not please send your question to using our contact form, or ask around in the appropriate forum. You are sure to get an answer as soon as possible!